Friday, August 13, 2010

My Switch To Canon- Explained

focus
Image shot with a very nice, new, loved Canon 5D Mark II- 1/1600 at F2.8
I got a new camera. A new and very nice camera. A new, very nice camera with which I am completely and madly in love with. I put in my time with gear that, in my opinion, had become somewhat outdated and insufficient for my needs. I started to feel frustrated and my confidence took a hit. What made my D200 insufficient for me (and I say "for me" because all photographers have different needs) was its inability to function in low light situations. Weddings and births were especially difficult for me and needed to be shot with a flash which I do not love using (flashes in general, not my specifically the NIKON SB900).

The ISO performance of this new madly loved new camera is unreal. I choose the 50 mm F1.4 and the 24-70 F2.8 lenses and I feel so happy with my lens choice. I love fixed lenses and hope to add a macro lens and a high quality zoom as soon as the cash flow will permit.

Many have asked me why I switched to Canon so here is my answer:

Price- I have been wanting to convert to a full-frame sensor (click HERE for a detailed explanation of full-frame vs cropped frame sensors) for a while now and when it came down to it I needed to upgrade my work horse lens AND my camera in order to be set up full-frame(my 17-55 F2.8 was not compatible with the full-frame Nikon D700 camera) so I compared cost and Canon was more affordable when I factored in the cost of a compatible dynamic lens. PLUS! The Mark II shoots video!

I was actually very very happy to learn that Canon was a more affordable choice as I will admit there is something about Canon. I don't know what it is- perhaps the big thumb wheel, the increased choice of lenses, the fact that with the exception of a few, all of my photog friends shoot Canon...I don't know but its something. I shot Kiera's camera several times and knew there was something distinctly different in the image quality and wide-angle abilities. I never shot in low light so I didn't know how uh!mazing that was going to be but lets just say I could not be more happy with my choice and the results it is yielding!

For more on a side-by-side comparison of Nikon's D200 (my old camera) and Canon's 5D Mark II click HERE .

3 comments:

Lauriann said...

so glad to read that you love your camera- that's the one I'm getting when our tax return comes in the Spring. :)
This adoption has taken allllllll our money. So I've had to wait.

Lucky to be the mom said...

Wahoo for having the right equipment for the job!
Just think of the magical things you can do now :) so fun!

Amy said...

Yay for new equipment!! I just upgraded as well! From a D90 to a D700. I too got the 50mm 1.4 and 24-70! I've had them since Friday and I'm IN LOVE!!

I've loved reading through your blog! Your photographs are gorgeous!