Monday, September 14, 2009

Photographers Notes

ATP_0017

ATP_0013

ATP_0043

ATP_0018ATP_0019

ATP_0015
When we lived in Houston it rained a lot. As Cade and I made the long and mostly blank landscaped roadtrip back to Utah I took a photo of scattered water drops as they hurried across a pane, forced by the speeds of wind over my car. While I was looking at it yesterday I remembered how valuable it was to acknowledge those drops. Becoming a parent has both resurrected my ability and reminded me of the joy in recognizing the splendor of detail that surrounds us.

While I was editing these I was reminded of something that is both common and profound- you can never take the same photo twice. You can try, sure, you can try all day if you like. You can put the same bride in the same dress at the same location but the photo you shoot can never disguise itself as another. Each of my photographs reflects my mood, inspiration, perspective, understanding of composition, knowledge of the technical aspects of light and its capture. Those elements are in constant flux and contribute only a portion of the final product. A subject's interaction with the camera, the whims of weather, color, and even last nights news inform the very moment we are gathering and that moment cannot be duplicated.

So here are some of my moments. Moments from September 14th as I sat in the back seat of my car with my tiny Dotter at my side watching the valley fill up with rain.

3 comments:

Ashley said...

I really like these, Ashley. Abstract but at the same time, really cool.

I think I asked you once, but I'll ask again (don't answer if you don't want to answer): did you study photography in school? I love your technique. Thanks for always answering my questions, by the way.

Unknown said...

Wow, they are so beautiful. I would love to have a series of those framed in my living room. Gorgeous!

Carmen said...

Wow, great shots. I ♥ bokeh!